Banana Foster Cake at Willow in NYC
Bananas and vanilla ice cream are combined in the delicacy known as Bananas Foster, along with a sauce made of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, dark rum, and banana liqueur.
But what happens when you add cake to the mix? Find out with a vegan banana foster cake from the chefs at Willow in NYC.
Life is nothing without a little sweetness. Now, with help from the same minds that brought you the full vegan menu at Willow in NYC, feel free to experiment with your own version of these delicious treats. Never again feel the need to sacrifice your own cruelty-free standards for the sake of an easy holiday dinner!
For more inspiration, explore our full menu to see what the chefs of the Willow kitchen have come up with lately! Ready to sample the flavors for yourself? Place an order for pickup or delivery, and allow us to bring all the flavor right to your door.
Vegan Bananas Foster Cake Recipe
Vegan baking can be a bit of a challenge when you first start, but as the old adage goes, every journey begins with a single step! Take that step with the help of this easy, vegan bananas foster cake recipe.
Completely free of dairy and eggs, this recipe maintains all the moist sweetness of the original classic. Don’t feel intimidated by the traditional “fire” aspect of this dessert. You can keep this treat just as flashy simply by getting creative with the decorative icing and fresh banana garnish.
Total Time: 40 minutes
|3 cups of all-purpose flour|
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of oat milk
1/2 cup of vegan butter
1 cup of coconut sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
|1 tablespoon of cinnamon|
1 tablespoon of nutmeg
6 large, ripe bananas
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
8 tablespoons of dark rum
2 tablespoons of white sugar
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
5 cups of vanilla vegan cream cheese frosting
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a second, smaller bowl, combine the oat milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
- Using a stand mixer, mix the butter, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar together until the result is light and fluffy. Slowly add four of the bananas until they’ve evenly blended into the mixture.
- One cup at a time, begin mixing the dry and wet ingredients into the batter. Alternate between one cup of dry ingredients and one cup of wet until all the cake ingredients are fully combined and your batter is complete.
- Prepare two 8-inch cake pans and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour the batter evenly into each pan.
- Allow the cakes to bake for thirty minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and use a fork to poke a few holes into the surface of each cake. Drizzle 6 tablespoons of rum over the surface of each cake, and then allow them to sit until the alcohol has fully soaked in.
- As the cake cools, bring a saucepan to medium heat. Combine the remaining rum with white sugar, and then cook until the sugar dissolves. Chop the two remaining bananas into slices, and then toss them in this rum mixture over medium heat until they have slightly caramelized. Watch them carefully; because of the high sugar content, it does not take long for this tasty garnish to burn! Remove the bananas from the heat, lay them in a single layer across wax paper, and allow them to cool.
- Now comes the fun part! Ice and decorate your cake. Display the bananas across the surface of the cake, use them to create a decorative flair, or mash them between the layers of the cake. Better yet, experiment with a combination of all three, creating a sweet, gorgeous result sure to impress at your next gathering.
Vegan Desserts at Willow in NYC
Not ready to tackle this recipe before your next family get-together? No problem! Look no further than the Willow menu!
No matter what dessert you’re looking to bring, you’ll find exactly what you need at Willow in NYC. Enjoy choosing from options such as:
- Vanilla bean cashew cheesecake on a crumbled chocolate chip cookie crust and topped with mouthwatering hot fudge and chocolate coconut truffles
- The vegan skillet cookie, topped with a generous helping of peanut sauce and decadent chocolate ice cream
- Our sticky toffee cake, stuffed with Medjool dates and finished off with toffee sauce and cold vanilla ice cream
- Homemade banana pudding, served with Madagascar vanilla cream, vanilla wafers, rich banana liquor, and delicious chocolate fudge sauce
Don’t take our word for it. Sample the amazing flavors for yourself! Take advantage of our easy online ordering system and place your next order to go.