Vegan Calamari at Willow NYC
There’s something about seafood dishes that just feel designed to impress. Though that fresh, ocean flavor may be difficult to imitate on a cruelty-free scale, with a little help from the experts, you’ll have no problem enjoying all the classic seafood dishes without dropping your compassionate ideals. What better place to start than an appetizer of vegan calamari at Willow NYC?
All too often, people equate a vegan lifestyle with one of sacrifice. That’s not true! With help from Willow in NYC, you’ll find that creativity is all you need to create your fresh vegan takes on every classic appetizer, dessert, or main course. For more inspiration, come down to our lively Chelsea location to discover first-hand how delicious a plant-based meal can truly be.
Vegan Calamari Recipe
Crispy and light in texture, firm with just a hint of chewiness, calamari has developed a very well-earned reputation as one of the most crowd-pleasing appetizers around. Now, with a little help from this easy recipe, you’ll have no problem recreating that winning texture from the comfort of your own home!
Whether you are looking for a tasty snack, an impressive party food, or just a new way to spice up your weekly meal rotation, this simple, cruelty-free take on a classic seafood dish is sure to make a repeat performance.
|Approximately 12 king oyster mushrooms (5 cups when chopped)|
1 1/3 cups of almond milk
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of regular breadcrumbs
|2 teaspoons of ground nori|
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Begin by preparing your king oyster mushrooms. Start by wiping the mushroom down with a damp cloth to clean it, then slice the stalks into thin disks, roughly 1/3 inch thick or so. Cut out the center of each disk to create an open “O” shape. Set aside the remains to be cooked into soups, used for stock, or fried later.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the two different types of breadcrumbs, along with your ground nori and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the milk in a second bowl and the flour in a third.
- Wet each mushroom ring first in the plant milk, toss it into the flour, and then coat each mushroom ring in an even layer of breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil to roughly 350 degrees. Then, allow each mushroom ring to fry until crispy and golden. Remove from the oil. For a less-greasy alternative, you may also consider baking these vegan calamari rings in the oven or air fryer.
- Once the rings have cooled, spritz them with lemon juice and enjoy every bite.
Vegan Calamari Dipping Sauce
Looking for a way to add even more flavor to your snack? Give this spicy, salty vegan dip a chance!
|2/3 cup of vegan aioli|
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
|1 lemon slice|
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a small paring knife, carefully mince the chipotle.
- In a small bowl, mix the vegan aioli, minced chipotle, and chopped parsley. Squeeze a spritz of lemon into the dip and stir until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Taste the dip before sprinkling it with salt and pepper. Adjust the flavors as necessary.
Vegan Seafood Alternatives at Willow NYC
Choosing a route of compassionate dining shouldn’t mean having to sacrifice all your old favorites. Rather, it should be about opening new doors to a healthy lifestyle, one that only introduces new flavors and variety into your regular diet!
At Willow in NYC, we guarantee that no diner– whether vegan or otherwise– should feel the need to choose between health and flavor.
Enjoy choosing from options like:
- Zalmon tartare, a mouthwatering appetizer flavored with avocado, capers, dijon mustard, lemon, chives, and black truffle caviar. A side of taro root chips ties the flavors together, giving the perfect way to enjoy this dip!
- New England “clam” chowder, a creamy mixture of oyster mushrooms, onions, celery, potatoes, bac’n bits, and chives, served with a crispy baguette crostini
- Our ever-popular “scallop” cacio e pepe, a popular pasta dish prepared with semolina linguine, oyster mushroom “scallops,” wakame, creamy ‘parmesan” sauce, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and parsley
Craving healthy seafood alternatives but don’t feel like dirtying up the kitchen? No problem! Simply explore the Willow menu, place an order for pickup or to-go, and get ready to enjoy vegan seafood as you’ve never tried it before!