Sometimes when people reference New York City as the “melting pot” of America, we can take that literally. As Ellis Island opened its doors to immigrants looking for a new homeland, it also opened up the possibility of new opportunities: music, theater, and– most importantly– cuisine. Honor both Italian and American history with a full serving of this vegan chicken marsala at Willow in NYC!
At Willow, we take pride in serving up vegan takes on all your favorite comfort foods. Drawing inspiration from all over the world, our professionally trained chefs start with the wholesome flavors of the classic American bistro, then add their own unique twist. Enjoy your favorite New York City dishes as you’ve never seen!
To find out more about what Willow is serving up, explore our full menu. Ready to sample the flavors for yourself? Come to our location in hip Chelsea, or place an order for pickup/delivery using our easy online ordering system.
Porcini Chicken Marsala at Willow
In its most typical form, marsala sauce is incredibly rich, with a blend of earthy, umami notes and bright acidity. As the name suggests, marsala wine gives this sauce much of its flavor, as do the roasted chicken cutlets that serve as the dish’s main protein. Thick and creamy with a subtle sweetness, this American-Italian cuisine worked hard in earning its reputation as one of the most delectable items on most menus.
Rather than relying on chicken, we keep our take inclusive through the use of entirely fresh, vegan ingredients. Soy-based chick’n keeps this dish just as filling as the original, all without the unnecessary fat and meat!
A base of oyster mushrooms enhances the naturally earthy flavors of this dish, while red wine and chives brighten the overall flavor. Sauteed broccolini brings a freshness and burst of additional nutrition to every bite.
Adding even further to the layers in this inspired dish, the chefs at Willow serve up this meal over creamy polenta.
Vegan Chicken Marsala Recipe for Home
Once you’ve gained a comfortable understanding of the flavors, it’s time to create your own take! Break out the cooking gear, make your grocery list, and get started on your very next vegan favorite.
|1/2 pound of vegan chicken strips or tenders|
2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 cup of cashews
1 cup of sliced baby bella mushrooms
1/2 cup of diced oyster mushrooms
3 garlic cloves (minced)
|2 tablespoons of vegan butter|
1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 cup of marsala wine
Pasta of your choosing
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place your cashews in the food processor. Blend until they have been reduced to a fine powder, with few– if any– visible chunks. Add one cup of vegetable broth to the processor, then pulse until the resulting liquid thickens and gains a “cream-like” color.
- In a saucepan, melt your vegan butter, then use the oil to sautee your mushrooms for around two minutes. Add the garlic and thyme, then continue cooking for another three to four minutes, until the mushrooms have browned and lost liquid.
- Pour all liquid ingredients (including the “cashew cream”) into the saucepan, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- In a separate pot, boil your pasta. Measurements for this are not exact and vary depending on your chosen pasta and desired proportions.
- Prepare your vegan chicken according to packaging instructions. Classic chicken marsala calls for a topping of roasted chicken, but this is your dish! For a healthier option, don’t be afraid to turn to an air-fryer or grilled chick’n strips instead.
- Once the sauce has reduced, combine sauce, pasta, and chick’n until all are evenly coated. Enjoy!
Innovative Takes at Willow
When dining at Willow, you can rest assured that every bite has been carefully designed with the most delicious, original outcome in mind. We use only the freshest possible ingredients, from the appetizer to the dessert.
Join us for a comfortable lunch and enjoy a well-deserved break in our relaxed bistro environment. At the end of a busy day, find your moment of peace through a wholesome meal in a homey environment.