Vegan Clam Chowder
Clam chowder is truly a taste of the sea. This New England favorite has made itself a staple through its famously thick, creamy broth and comforting flavor. Now, with help from the experts at Willow, you can enjoy this classic dish cruelty-free with vegan clam chowder in NYC!
Located in hip Chelsea, Willow has quickly risen through the ranks to become one of the city’s top plant-based restaurants. By starting with American bistro classics and then adding a creative flair, Willow presents all your favorite dishes as you’ve never seen them before– elevated, original, and always vegan! Willow in NYC is always ready with the latest tips and tricks for living life deliciously vegan. To enjoy more innovative classics, check out our menu or place an order for takeout today!
Willow’s own Vegan Clam Chowder
Willow’s New England-inspired vegan clam chowder starts with that same thick, gravy-like consistency as the original classic. However, rather than using dairy, meat, or a seafood base, our chefs take advantage of fresh plant-based ingredients. They dice potatoes and mushrooms, then cook them down to creamy perfection.
Chunks of thoroughly cooked potatoes will melt in your mouth with every bite of this warm, comforting chowder. In place of clams, chewy chunks of oyster mushrooms provide the perfect texture contrast with a similar chewiness to the original. Bac’n bits and chives bring a smokey flavor to the background, while freshly cooked celery adds a color contrast and satisfying finish.
Finally, a crispy baguette provides the perfect side to this dish. Dip, dab, or use your bread as another way to spoon this dish from the bowl to your belly!
At Willow, we take pride in creating inclusive, mouthwatering dishes that anyone is bound to enjoy. Whether vegan, vegetarian, or sworn carnivore, you’ll find something to love in this healthy, cruelty-free take on an old classic!
Vegan Clam Chowder Recipe
Craving the rich creaminess of clam chowder? Don’t resort to sodium-rich canned alternatives! Enjoy passing a rainy afternoon in the kitchen while you hone in on a new set of kitchen skills. Break out the ingredients and give this at-home recipe a chance.
|1 and 1/ cups of baby bella mushrooms
2 celery stalks
1 medium onion
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
3 large potatoes
|3 tablespoons of flour
3 cups of oat milk
2 teaspoons of Old Bay seasoning
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel and cube potatoes, then boil until they are halfway softened. This process should take around five minutes.
- In a large soup pot, bring a drizzle of olive oil to medium heat. Dice your onions, then sautee until softened. Add diced celery and minced garlic. Proceed to cook together until all vegetables are lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add mushrooms to the pot and sautee for another five to ten minutes.
- Carefully transfer the partially cooked potatoes to the soup pot. Stir into the other ingredients, slowly adding flour as you do. Flour is optional, but it will go a long way in thickening up this dish.
- Pour in all oat milk, stir, and bring your chowder to a boil. Continue to cook for five minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, add Old Bay seasonings, then allow your soup to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the flavors have properly melded. Use salt and pepper to season according to your personal preference.
- Serve up a bowl, allow to cool slightly, and enjoy!
Comforting Classics at Willow Bistro
No one does comfort food quite like Willow!
As part of the City Roots restaurant family, Willow uses exclusively farm-fresh, vegan ingredients to bring worldwide flavor to a small scale.
Enjoy digging into warm, filling dishes like:
- Our french onion soup, which is slow-cooked to perfection with garlic, red wine, and caramelized onions, then topped with vegan “mozzarella” and roasted to a finish
- Willow “crab” cakes, made entirely from seasoned Jackfruit for a cruelty-free twist adn served with grilled corn relish
- Porcini Chick’n masala served with polenta and grilled broccolini
Make the most of every moment with a dining experience at Willow! Sit back and relax in our comforting bistro environment, sampling all the flavors of our full menu for yourself. Not feeling up to a night on the town? Take advantage of our online ordering system to enjoy a meal for pickup or delivery.