Vegan Crab Cakes
Rich, flavorful, and with just a hint of indulgence, crab cakes have all the makings of the perfect appetizer. For those with seafood allergies or a cruelty-free diet, however, this appetizer ends up being completely out of reach. Keep your dinner party or gathering as inclusive as possible by turning instead to delicious vegan crab cakes at Willow NYC!
At Willow, we turn bistro classics on their heads, providing diners with a whole new perspective on their old favorites. We start by using fresh, vegan ingredients, then add the worldwide expertise of our professionally trained chefs to bring that “Willow” flair. Regardless of whether you are new to the vegan lifestyle, an experienced pro, or someone just looking to explore new flavors, you’ll find exactly what you’re craving in options like our Willow “crab” cakes! To learn more about our inclusive options, explore our menu or place a pickup or delivery order today!
Willow “Crab” Cakes
Rather than relying on either traditional crab meat or cheap imitation, the chefs at Willow combine fresh jackfruit with delicious spices to create “crab” cakes that leave diners begging for more.
Jackfruit, a centuries-old fruit that is just now gaining steam in the vegan community, provides all the flaky texture of fish without any of the environmentally harmful harvesting practices. The mild, ever-so-slightly sweet flavor easily enhances a wide range of other flavors, making it the perfect backdrop on which the Willow chefs can play.
While traditional crab cakes often fall back on mayonnaise and bread crumbs to carry the bulk of the meal, these Willow “crab” cakes use only fresh, nutritious ingredients. By adding wakame to this appetizer, Willow introduces a fresh, low-calorie addition along with a burst of valuable nutrients. High in iodine and low in fat, this seaweed truly enhances every bite with the salty umami of the ocean.
A grilled corn relish and old bay dipping sauce round out the dish, balancing delicious new flavors with the old seasonings we love to associate with this classic bistro appetizer.
Easy At-Home Vegan Crab Cakes
It’s hard to beat the innovative minds behind Willow’s cruelty-free classics, but that’s not to say you can’t come close! If you’re looking for a straightforward, simple replacement for this crowd-pleasing appetizer, look no further than these easy, at-home vegan crab cakes.
|3 tablespoons of water|
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
1 can of green jackfruit in brine
1/2 a cup of breadcrumbs
1 cup of garbanzo beans
1/4 cup of finely chopped celery
|1/4 cup of finely chopped red onion|
2 tablespoons of Old Bay seasoning
2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Start by mixing your chia seeds with warm water, then allow time for the seeds to swell to a gel-like consistency. Once thoroughly mixed, use a fork to blend in your garbanzo beans. Don’t feel the need to mash the beans into a perfectly smooth consistency; it is best to work with a mixture of larger chunks and smaller, smoother portions.
- After draining and rinsing your jackfruit, use your fingers to shred pieces into the desired consistency. For more blended flavors, shred the jackfruit finely; for “crab” cakes with a chunkier consistency, feel free to leave a few whole, flaky pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your shredded jackfruit with your chia seed/garbanzo bean mixture. From here, slowly introduce your breadcrumbs and all other ingredients. Use your hands to gently knead the mixture until thoroughly combined. Place the resulting “mash” into the fridge for ten to fifteen minutes to chill.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet to a medium-high temperature.
- Use your hands to carefully roll your dough into crab cake-style patties. For best results, patties should be roughly an inch thick and no more than five inches around. Heat the patties over medium-high heat until fully warmed and a light golden brown on the exterior.
These jackfruit patties are best enjoyed fresh, so dig in as soon as possible!
Dining with the Best
While the process of making your own vegan meal from scratch can be its own fun adventure, there’s nothing quite as relaxing as enjoying a decadent appetizer from the comforts of a restaurant. Place your order, lean back, and fully relax in the knowledge that your only responsibility from this point forward is to have a spectacular meal in a gorgeous environment.
Not feeling up to a night out, but still don’t want to cook? Consider placing an order for pickup or delivery using our online ordering system!