Vegan French Onion Soup
Watching someone who “hates onions” taste French onion soup for the first time is an experience: that dawn of realization as they sample the sweet, caramelized flavor and find themselves already reaching for a second spoonful. Now, with vegan French onion soup at Willow, anyone can indulge in this decadent soup for themselves!
Whether within the doors of our restaurant or without, Willow takes pride in bringing new flavors to the city of New York. By taking old bistro classics and making them vegan, we bring a fresh take to every dish. Enjoy the Willow flair for yourself, or use the recipe below to make your own vegan French onion soup at home. To learn more about our inclusive options, explore our menu or place a pickup or delivery order today!
Willow’s Vegan French Onion Soup
Sometimes, it helps not to mess too much with a classic; for our French onion soup, we remain loyal to the classic recipe, only making changes where best.
This dish starts with a base of caramelized onions. Our chefs understand that good things come with time; as such, they pour time into helping these onions reach the perfect, sweet level of brown caramelization. A slight kick of garlic and fresh thyme offsets the sweetness of the onions and helps anchor this soup back to a savory center.
As always, we keep things cruelty-free! By using housemade vegetable broth, rather than the usual animal stock, we can introduce all our favorite vegetable flavors and seasonings to the mix. A hearty dash of “mozzarella” finishes off this vegan dish in style.
Like much of the menu at Willow, this soup is perfect for travel. Feel free to either enjoy every bite in the comfort of our warm, bistro environment or take it with you on the go. We promise it tastes just as delicious eaten on the couch or in the office! Either way, just remember to bring your warm baguette crostini for dipping.
Try Your Own Vegan Take
Want to attempt this classic on your own? Check out this easy vegan French onion soup recipe! Before you begin, be aware: though this recipe is deceptively easy, it can take time and patience. Don’t rush; make this on a long, lazy day, and enjoy the process.
|5 large yellow onions|
8 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
3 tablespoons of vegan butter
5 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
|1/2 teaspoon of black pepper|
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of coconut sugar
Drizzle of olive oil
A sprinkle of your favorite vegan cheese
Bread for dipping
- Start by peeling and slicing your onions. Though there is no particular way in which this must be done, we suggest first cutting each onion in half, then slicing it so that each strand looks like a long, thin arc. When properly caramelized, this slice best follows the shape people most come to know in their traditional French onion soup.
- Heat your oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once heated through, add your onions and begin to caramelize. Stir consistently to ensure that all onions receive around the same amount of heat and time against the bottom. This process can take around 30 minutes but tastes best when given time.
- Stir in your vegan butter and continue to cook your onions until fully browned, which may take roughly another 20 minutes. Feel free to adjust the heat as necessary if you see burns developing. Stir consistently!
- Add sugar, salt, and garlic to the mix, then cook for another 15 minutes. By this point, your onions should be incredibly sweet, fragrant, and nearly falling apart.
- Add your red wine vinegar. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure that you are mixing in all the delicious goodness that may have stuck to the bottom during this process.
- Stir in your veggie broth, as well as all remaining herbs and seasonings. Cover your soup and allow it to simmer until the flavors properly meld. We suggest around 20 minutes.
- For the final touch, preheat your oven to 400 degrees, portion out your soup into oven-safe bowls, top with your favorite vegan cheese, and cook in the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Classic Flavors Done Right at Willow
French onion soup does not take immense amounts of effort; rather, it takes time, patience, and a true level of dedication toward the overall product. At Willow, we show care in everything we do. As part of the City Roots Hospitality family, we show our love for the environment, the city, and the quality of every bite on your plate!
Curious about other classic dishes made vegan? Explore our full menu for inspiration or ideas! When you’re ready to sample those flavors for yourself, come down to our hip Chelsea location or place an order to go through our easy online ordering system.