Vegan Fried Chicken Recipe
At your next Central Park picnic, don’t feel obligated to nibble on boring snacks; contribute to the party with this delicious vegan fried chicken recipe!
The talented minds behind Willow’s innovative, fully vegan menu are dedicated to introducing new takes to all your favorite comfort foods, maintaining the authentic flavor, and adding our own unique flair. Using only the best vegan ingredients, we bring our worldwide culinary experience to your table, whether through easy vegan recipes or delicious options from our own professional chefs!
To find out more about the big flavors, Willow brings to diners all over New York City, explore our full menu. Place an order for pickup or delivery today, and allow us to bring the flavor to your doorstep!
Vegan Fried Chicken Recipe
It’s no secret that the rise in the cruelty-free lifestyle has led to a rise in tasty, original vegan meat substitutes. Just a simple walk down the freezer section of your nearest grocery store will likely introduce you to various brands, all dedicated to providing easy, quick meal options for hopeful vegans everywhere.
Though this is undoubtedly a win– better for the planet and prospective diners– no pre-made substitution is quite as delicious as homemade vegan fried chicken.
By forgoing the easy option of the challenge of preparing your own dinner from scratch, you can enjoy more than just a tasty meal; you can enjoy the thrill of rising to the occasion, proving that a cruelty-free lifestyle holds just as many mouthwatering options as any other!
Without further ado, roll up your sleeves, break out your ingredients, and get ready to tackle this delicious vegan fried chicken recipe.
|1 block of extra firm tofu|
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of basil
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of mustard powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
|1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper|
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of almond milk
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups of cornflakes
Canola oil for frying
- Using a tofu press, squeeze the tofu block to remove as much liquid as possible. Alternatively, you can place the tofu between two cutting boards, using a series of heavy books to slowly press out the excess liquid.
- Use your hands to carefully break the block into about eight different pieces, as similarly sized as possible. Place these pieces in a bowl, then cover them in about two cups of broth. Set this aside to marinate.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set them aside to create a “vegan buttermilk.”
- In another larger bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour and all seasoning.
- Carefully remove each piece of tofu from the marinade, squeeze out the excess liquid with a dishrag, and dunk it in the buttermilk mixture. While still soaked, dip it in the seasoned flour, rolling it carefully until it is fully covered. Set it aside, and repeat the process until all the tofu pieces are breaded.
- Crush the cornflakes and then stir them into the remaining flour.
- Dunk each tofu piece in the buttermilk mixture again, and then mix in the flour-cornflake breading. Repeat until every piece is fully breaded.
- Heat the canola oil to roughly 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry each tofu piece in the oil until it reaches a golden brown, flipping as necessary to achieve an even, crispy exterior.
- After removing each piece from the oil, set it aside on a paper towel to cool. This will soak up any extra oil, creating an even crunchier, more delicious vegan fried chicken!
- For even more flavor, make your own vegan dipping sauce! Start with a base of vegan mayonnaise, combine it with a drizzle of ketchup or a splash of lemon juice, and then finish by stirring in all your favorite seasonings. Craving a “fast food” style sauce? Add a bit of mustard and garlic powder. Looking for something more traditionally fancy? Turn to a spoonful of horseradish or crushed garlic.
Willow’s Mouthwatering Vegan Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich
At Willow, we pride ourselves in offering inclusive dishes every family and friend group can enjoy. Every item on our menu is entirely vegan and prepared with a level of expertise, including our very own vegan buttermilk fried chicken!
This isn’t your average sandwich. Our buttermilk fried chicken sandwich starts with a foundation of a brioche bun. Crisp cabbage slaw and romaine lettuce serve as the perfect, crisp contrast to the creamy avocado slices and our own horseradish aioli. You’ll savor every mouthwatering bite!
To enjoy your vegan chicken sandwich in the perfect, relaxed environment, come down to our Chelsea location and enjoy a true dining experience! For a tasty meal on the go, enjoy all the flavor from the comfort of your home or office with a pickup or delivery order.
Explore our menu to see for yourself the amazing options available at Willow!