Vegan Pastrami Recipe
Of all the amazing dishes that make New York City one of the world’s food capitals, few are more delicious than pastrami. Made from meats brined in rich herbs and spices, this dish is typically served along with fresh veggies on homemade bread to create the classic “pastrami sandwich.” Now, with help from Willow in NYC, you can put a vegan twist on the pastrami recipe.
Since its founding, Willow has taken pride in being able to offer flavorful, healthy alternatives to traditional American classics. By adding a sophisticated, vegan twist to this otherwise meat-forward dish, our professional chefs can present pastrami as you’ve never seen: fresh, light, and built on a foundation of wholesome, cruelty-free ingredients!
Fresh Vegan Pastrami Recipe
There’s no getting around it: this recipe may not be for the faint of heart. With a long ingredient list and various cooking techniques, this vegan pastrami takes time, patience, and a willingness to experiment with different flavors.
However, this recipe comes with another, even more, important truth. For anyone looking for a healthy, cruelty-free alternative to the classic NYC pastrami sandwich, you’ll find none better.
We’ve taken care to break this otherwise complex recipe into as many simple, easy-to-follow steps as possible. Don’t be afraid! Simply assemble your list, head to the grocery store, ready your cooking playlist, and start the best part of your next favorite sandwich.
1 raw beetroot
2/3 cup of vegan beef broth
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 cups of wheat gluten
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
2 teaspoons of mustard powder
1 teaspoon of salt
5 cups of veggie broth
3 bay leaves
7 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of paprika
3 tablespoons of spicy mustard
5 tablespoons of liquid smoke
1 teaspoon of molasses
6 tablespoons of black pepper
3 teaspoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
4 tablespoons of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of mustard powder
2 tablespoons of kosher salt
- Start by preparing your seitan. Place all ingredients except the vital wheat gluten into a blender or food processor. Blend until all ingredients are smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Add the vital wheat gluten one half a cult at a time, pulsing until it combines to form a firm dough.
- Transfer the dough from the food processor to a large mixing bowl. Gently knead it for around five minutes or until all the ingredients are smooth and consistently combined. This dough is not very sticky, but if necessary, use a bit of cornstarch, flour, or additional wheat gluten to help.
- Prepare the spice rub by mixing all ingredients into a small bowl.
- Roll out a long sheet of tin foil. Place the seitan dough onto the center of the foil, and then fully coat it in the spice rub. Wrap the dough with the foil, smoothing the edges as well and tightly as possible.
- Place the log on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for around forty minutes. Remove the foil and cook unwrapped for another forty minutes until the outside of the log is lightly crisped.
- As the seitan finishes cooking, combine all the broth ingredients in a large cooking pot and bring them to a simmering boil.
- Remove the seitan log from the oven and cut it into thin, sandwich-style slices. Place these slices gently into the simmering broth and allow them to cook for an additional five to ten minutes.
- Either serve the sliced vegan pastrami hot and steaming or set it aside to chill. Once prepared, this dish makes the perfect dinner, meal prep, or party food for your next cruelty-free gathering.
Cruelty-Free Classics at Willow NYC
Not ready to tackle this complex recipe? No judgment from us! Simply step into Willow for a meal that will fulfill all your vegan pastrami cravings. Or check out our orders.
Prepared from sliced seitan, our vegan pastrami sandwich has the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors. With an interesting blend of coriander, maple, and garlic, this dish becomes complete with grain mustard and a crisp cabbage slaw over rustic rye. With all the flavor and none of the moral compromise, this is sure to become one of your new favorite.