Vegan Philly Cheesesteak at Willow
One of the best parts of New York City is how flawlessly it manages to pull flavors, influence, and cultural inspiration from all corners of the globe (and our own country). This presents a unique opportunity for New Yorkers to fully appreciate every form of cuisine from all over this great nation! Few meals better embody that than the vegan Philly Cheesesteak at Willow.
Just like the city it calls home, Willow takes massive pride in its inclusive, welcoming nature. Our full menu offers delicious, healthy alternatives to traditional American classics. By adding a sophisticated, vegan twist to a diverse range of dishes, our professional chefs present this Philly Cheesesteak as you’ve never seen before: completely cruelty-free, from start to finish!
To learn more about all the options Willow brings to the table, check out our full menu, or place an order for pickup or delivery today.
The City’s Best Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
Traditionally, this American classic is sold with little variation from one shop to another. Starting on a base of soft bread, the typical Philly Cheesesteak is piled high with thinly sliced beef and topped with either American cheese, provolone, or– occasionally– Cheez Whiz.
As always, Willow’s menu is anything but typical!
Our take on this dish starts with a crisp, toasted sub. From there, we substitute the greasy meat with grilled seitan, keeping all the flavor without compromising moral integrity. We apply the same logic to the cheese portion of the sandwich, choosing instead to go with a cruelty-free melted “cheddar” sauce.
In the age-old question of whether to take this sandwich “with” or “without” onions, Willow opts for the inclusion of freshly grilled onions and oyster mushrooms, sealing this sandwich off as one you’ll never forget! But if you really feel passionate about no onions, we can arrange that too.
Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Craving the satisfaction that can only come from a homemade meal? Try your own take on this classic dish! Start with this basic, foundational recipe– compliments of the Willow kitchen– and then experiment with methods of making it entirely your own.
On its own, homemade seitan can be an overwhelming project; we keep things simple here with this simple tofu steak alternative.
Grill your favorite veggies, tackle your own flavored condiments, and enjoy every bite of your new creation!
|1 package of extra firm tofu|
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper
2 hoagie rolls
2 cups of vegan cheese (whatever flavor you prefer)
1 cup of savory vegan stock
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
|1 tablespoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce|
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of mustard
Olive oil (for toasting and frying)
- Using a tofu press, squeeze the excess liquid from the block of tofu. Alternately, you may press the tofu block between two cutting boards and then slowly increase the amount of weight using a series of cookbooks.
- Using a mandolin or cheese grater, slice the tofu into thin strips. Arrange the sliced tofu in an even layer at the bottom of a baking tray.
- Mix the vegan stock, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, nutritional yeast, all spices, sugar, and mustard together in a medium bowl. Mince the cloves of garlic and stir them into the marinate. Pour this mixture over the sliced tofu until it is evenly covered.
- Allow the tofu to soak for a minimum of fifteen minutes, then place it under a broiler for twenty minutes. Halfway through, flip the tofu strips. When fully cooked, the tofu will be dark, even, and crispy along the edges.
- As the tofu cooks, place a frying pan over medium heat. Dice the onions and peppers, and then fry in a drizzle of olive oil until all the veggies have softened.
- Dice open a hoagie roll, place it on a baking tray, and toast it under the broiler until toasted. Top the roll with your seasoned tofu steak, cover in the vegan cheese of your choosing, and toast a second time. Close your sandwich and enjoy!
Warm, Comforting Meals at Willow NYC
Sometimes, even the task of preparing a sandwich as simple as this one can feel overwhelming. On days like that, reach out to the experts for help! Allow Willow to offer the comfort and simple joy that can only come from a warm, cruelty-free meal.
Enjoy tasty vegan options served hot and ready! Every guest can find something to love on our full menu. Come enjoy a meal in our gorgeously designed restaurant or place an order for pickup/delivery to treat yourself to a well-deserved dinner.