There is nothing quite as comforting as a big bowl of your favorite vegan comfort food. A plate of delicious ravioli is a meal that you can trust will cure the rainy-day blues. With this vegan ravioli recipe, feel free to experiment with all your very favorite flavors at home, cruelty-free.
Not in the mood to cook? Whether you’re dining in or ordering out, Willow is here to help make vegan comfort foods easy and utterly enjoyable!
Homemade Vegan Pasta Dough
While most pasta doughs utilize eggs, this vegan option is completely free of all eggs or any other animal products. Not only that, but it is as fun to make as it is to eat! Grab your favorite apron, roll up your sleeves, and dig into this homemade vegan pasta dough recipe.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of water
- Begin by mixing all of your dry ingredients. Shape your dry ingredients to form a well in the center, where you can easily finish combining all ingredients in the next step. This can be completed either within your bowl or, if you want to more closely follow the Italian tradition, on a clean, flat surface.
- Carefully pour your extra virgin olive oil and water into the well.
- Slowly combine all ingredients, starting in the center of your well before slowly moving out. Once your ingredients are fully mixed to form a single dough, knead the finished product for ten minutes.
- Roll your fully kneaded dough into a ball, cover in foil wrap, then store in the refrigerator for one hour or until it is fully chilled.
- Dust your working surface with fresh flour, separate your dough into two portions, then roll each out thin using either a rolling pin or pasta machine.
All that is left to do from this point is stuff your vegan ravioli!
To stuff your ravioli, spoon a dollop of your favorite filling in a series of small portions along the surface of one pasta-dough sheet, spacing them roughly two to three inches apart. From there, gently lay the second pasta sheet down over the top. Using your fingertips, press the two pasta sheets together around the individual spoonfuls of ravioli filling. Next, use a knife to cut each individual vegan ravioli out of the sheets.
To cook your finished product, bring a pot of salted water to a gently rolling boil. Cook each ravioli for around four minutes, or until it floats to the surface of the pot and remains there. From here, top with your favorite marinara, balsamic vinegar, or seasoned olive oil to enjoy vegan ravioli perfection!
Try these Vegan Ravioli Fillings
If you need inspiration for your next vegan ravioli, try either of these delectable filling options!
For a slightly sweeter flavor to contrast with a savory olive-oil topping, try filling your vegan ravioli with this seasoned sweet potato filling.
Start with a healthy serving of mashed, boiled sweet potatoes, then mix in a few spoonfuls of your favorite vegan “parmesan.” Season with finely diced thyme, a pinch of rosemary, and a sprinkling of salt. To balance out the sweetness with a bit of extra spice, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the mix and combine thoroughly.
If you are in the mood for a lighter take on this classic filling, give this spinach basil pesto filling a chance!
Traditional pesto utilizes parmesan cheese, but with this vegan take, you can enjoy all the flavor without the unnecessary dairy. In a food processor, combine the following: nutritional yeast flakes, basil, cashews, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil. Mix thoroughly, experimenting with the proportions until you find the perfect combination for your personal tastes. At the finish, add a few handfuls of spinach for a burst of color, flavor, and protein!
Vegan Dining with Willow
Let’s be honest: most restaurants, even the best, do not take the time to prepare fully vegan pasta for their dishes. At Willow, we take care to ensure that every bite on your plate is completely vegan, made fresh in-house. Enjoy choosing between multiple vegan pastas prepared by our expert chefs, including options like:
- Handrolled eggplant lasagna with herb “ricotta,” Impossible meat, marinara sauce, “mozzerella,” fresh basil, and thyme
- Truffle Mac and “Cheese” seasoned with bac’n, chives, smoked paprika, shaved truffles, and toasted panko
In our restaurant, you can rest easy knowing that every high-quality, cruelty-free ingredient has been hand-selected with the utmost care. Come on down to our Chelsea location to enjoy your meal in a hip, bistro-inspired environment, or take your meal on the go with help from our easy online and delivery options. Explore our menu and reach out today to discover your next favorite meal!