Vegan Red Velvet Cake at Willow in NYC
Red velvet cake is more than just a treat for the tastebuds; it is a treat for the eyes. The delicious contrast of white, creamy frosting and the fluffy red pastry on the inside only serves to enhance this cake’s reputation as one of the most indulgent around. Now, with help from the expert minds at Willow in NYC, you can enjoy your very own vegan red velvet cake, right from the comfort of your own kitchen!
At Willow in NYC, we understand the role that presentation makes in a dish. Every item on our full menu– from appetizers to desserts– is arranged not only with taste but with an appearance in mind. Whether you enjoy your meal in the comfort of our restaurant or take your dish on the go, you are truly guaranteed a rich, memorable culinary experience.
For more inspiration, explore our full menu to see what the creative minds of the Willow kitchen have come up with lately! Ready to sample the flavors for yourself? Place an order for pickup or delivery, and allow us to bring all the flavor right to your door.
Homemade Vegan Red Velvet Cake
Most classic Southern dishes have a reputation for their indulgent mix of butter and cream, but this homemade red velvet cake keeps things cruelty free! By using only vegan ingredients, you can rest assured that your finished product is fit for any guest.
Without further ado, break out your mixer, grab your apron, and get ready to start making your very own mouthwatering vegan red velvet cake!
|2 cups of all-purpose flour|
2 tablespoons of unsweetened dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
1 cup of coconut sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of soy milk
|1 tablespoon of lemon juice|
1 tablespoon of white vinegar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of red food coloring
1 teaspoon of salt
Vegan icing for topping
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper, or use a small amount of vegetable oil to coat the sides.
- In a medium bowl, combine your all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Next, create your “vegan buttermilk.” Combine the lemon juice and soy milk, then set aside to “curdle.”
- In a medium bowl, combine your vegan buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract, and food coloring. Slowly mix this into your dry ingredients, stirring as you go to avoid overmixing.
- Add the vegetable oil to your batter. Continue to slowly mix.
- Portion your completed batter into the cake pans, and allow them to bake for around 20 minutes.
- Cool the cakes thoroughly before icing. If necessary, use a bread knife to level each layer, to allow them to more neatly lay against one another. Once you’ve finished icing your cake, simply slice, and enjoy!
A Word on Food Dye
The trickiest part of keeping a red velvet cake isn’t the dairy; it’s the food dye!
To obtain that rich, decadent appearance, it’s necessary to use a food dye. This can be tricky– especially with red colors– as many of these dyes may not be cruelty-free!
Currently, most food dyes are completely vegan, except for carmine, which is produced using a kind of beetle. However, just because they don’t contain animal products does not mean that these dyes are cruelty-free. In the absence of animal products, most of these dyes rely on a mixture of chemicals, many of which involve animal testing before making it to the grocery store shelves.
Bottom line: unless a dye directly states that it is cruelty-free, it may be best to look elsewhere or experiment with making your own at home! You can check out our guide here.
Rich Desserts at Willow NYC
Looking for more sweet classics to satisfy your dessert cravings? Look no further than the Willow menu!
No matter your craving, our expert chefs have something guaranteed to meet it. Enjoy choosing from options such as:
- Vanilla bean cashew cheesecake on a crumbled chocolate chip cookie crust and topped with mouthwatering hot fudge and chocolate coconut truffles
- The vegan skillet cookie, topped with a generous helping of peanut sauce and decadent chocolate ice cream
- Our sticky toffee cake, stuffed with Medjool dates and finished off with toffee sauce and cold vanilla ice cream
- Homemade banana pudding, served with Madagascar vanilla cream, vanilla wafers, rich banana liquor, and delicious chocolate fudge sauce
Ready to dig in already? Take advantage of our easy online ordering system and place your order to go!