A steak meal is a staple in many cultures, but not a delicacy one can enjoy if they are vegetarian or vegan. But what if we told you that you and your loved ones could continue to enjoy a steak meal, with the right ingredients and prep? And keep your fellow animals safe from harm! Now, with help from the experts at Willow in NYC, vegans all over the city and beyond can celebrate with vegan steak, cruelty-free!
At Willow, cruelty-free living is not just a motto; it’s a mindset. Whether you enjoy your meal in our warm environment or from the comfort of your own kitchen, the chefs at Willow hope to spread the word about exactly how delicious a vegan lifestyle can be.
For more inspiration on how to enhance your cruelty-free life, check out our menu. Ready to treat yourself to a night in? Take advantage of our easy online system to place your next order for pickup or delivery.
Lemon Pepper “Steak” at Willow in NYC
If you’ve lived as a vegan for any time, you may have already gotten used to prepackaged, frozen meat substitutes. While often tasty in their own right, tasting the same breaded “chicken tenders” over and over again quickly loses its charm.
When you find yourself craving a savory, filling meat substitute guaranteed to leave you satisfied, turn to the experts at Willow in NYC!
We prepare our seitan fresh every day. With a similar texture to a traditional steak, this version has all the appearance without any guilt. Covered in a crust of lemon pepper seasoning and grilled to a flawless finish, this hearty dish will leave you feeling as if you finally got the treat you were craving.
With two very different, equally delicious sides, this dish has the best of the best of both worlds. A serving of dairy-free creamed spinach adds a touch of sophistication to your already refined plate, while fresh whipped potatoes bring it down to earth. Lightly flavored with caramelized onions, these sides leaving a lasting impression.
When dining with Willow, it’s safe to expect the unexpected and prepare for a new, creative twist on all your favorites!
Garlic Butter Vegan Steak Recipe
Feel up to a challenge? This realistic, mouthwatering recipe will leave even you impressed with how much flavor you can create with vegan cooking!
|1/4 cup of raw beets|
1/4 cup of red kidney beans
1 2/3 cup of wheat gluten
3 tablespoons of vegan butter
3 garlic cloves
1 medium onion, diced
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 teaspoons of grainy mustard
3 teaspoons of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon of almond oil
|1/2 cup of red wine|
3 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of paprika
1 tablespoon of veggie stock
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of onion powder
Two sprigs of fresh rosemary
Veggie butter (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a food processor, blend the following ingredients: beets, kidney beans, mustard, liquid smoke, and red wine. Continue blending until ingredients have formed a loose paste.
- Add the diced onion and soy sauce. Then blend again.
- Add the vital wheat gluten, paprika, and just two tablespoons of garlic powder, then blend a final time. At this point, your mixture should be almost sandy and doughlike. This is where you may need to use your judgment. Because the water content in so many veggies can vary, you may need to add more olive oil or wheat gluten until the finished dough sticks together without crumbling.
- Shape your dough into a “steak.” This recipe should make two steaks roughly 1/2 inch thick each.
- In a small bowl, combine veggie stock, onion powder, brown sugar, and remaining garlic powder to create a marinade.
- After placing your steaks into the center of a baking dish, brush your marinade over the surface of both steaks. Be generous!
- Coat both sides of the steaks with olive oil, then bake for roughly 20 minutes. Halfway through the baking process, flip the steaks and brush with the remaining marinade.
- While the steaks cook, bring a large cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. Melt your vegan butter, then stir the sprigs of rosemary and garlic until they are fragrant.
- Remove your steaks from the oven. Using tongs, carefully place your steaks into the heated cast iron until they sear. Flip to cook both sides, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- For additional flair, pour the remaining marinade into the cast iron, scrape up the remaining garlic, and reduce over low heat until the liquid has solidified into a sauce. Pour over your seitan steak or dip for extra flavor.
Celebrate with Willow
There’s no reason to wait for a special occasion. With Willow’s cozy restaurant environment and elegant, innovative flair, every day is an event!