Vegan Sticky Toffee Cake at Willow
Finding a tasty dessert can be a challenge for those who tend to lean more toward rich, savory foods. On days when you’re craving a delicious vegan dessert without the unnecessary sugary sweetness, turn to the vegan sticky toffee cake at Willow for a much-needed option!
At Willow in NYC, we understand the importance of a good meal even more than most. Every item on our full menu– from appetizers to desserts– is arranged with flavor and inclusivity in mind. No matter your guests’ backgrounds, lifestyles, or dietary requirements, they’ll have equal access to the same mouthwatering options as everyone else. It is safe to pick any item from our fully vegan menu!
Explore our full menu to see what the creative minds of the Willow kitchen bring to the table! Ready to sample the flavors for yourself? Place an order for pickup or delivery, and allow us to bring all the flavor right to your door.
Willow’s Vegan Sticky Toffee Cake
As with every item on our full menu, the chefs bring every ounce of their vast culinary experience to the table with this rich, mouthwatering dessert.
A hearty scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream provides the perfect, chilly contrast to the warm, sticky toffee cake that this dish highlights. Made with a mix of high-quality Medjool dates, our sticky toffee cake is rich in natural sweetness, ensuring that every bite is filled with the natural goodness of nature.
Remember that this is no typical dessert; as an item from the Willow menu, it carries a little something extra! A drizzle of warm, house-made caramel sauce adds a layer of decadence.
Whether you’re looking for a boost at the end of a bad day or just a well-deserved treat, come down to our hip, relaxing Chelsea location to indulge in a true culinary experience!
Vegan Sticky Toffee Cake Recipe
Just one bite of Willow’s decadent dessert, and you’ll be itching to make one of your own! There’s no better place to start than with this easy, at-home recipe.
Once you’ve mastered the basics, feel free to experiment, making this recipe truly your own. A handful of vegan chocolate chips or roasted walnuts is a great way to start personalizing this classic British dessert. For more of a winter-inspired take, add a hearty pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. No matter how you choose to enjoy this dish, be sure to make the most of it by sharing a slice with those around you.
|2 cups of pitted dates|
1 cup of boiling water
1/3 cup of vegan butter
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of coconut sugar
2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed (plus 5 tablespoons of hot water) as an egg alternative
|1 1/4 cups of self-rising flour|
1 teaspoon of cornstarch
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of coconut cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Start by preparing your vegan egg alternative by combining the flaxseeds with hot water in a small bowl, stirring vigorously, and then setting them aside to fully combine.
- Chop the dates into fine chunks; alternatively, you can pulse them with a food processor until they are sticky enough to hold together but slightly mashed.
- In a small, heatproof bowl, combine the dates and baking soda. Pour in just enough boiling water that the date pieces are fully submerged.
- In another bowl, whip together the coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and vegan butter until they are light and fluffy. Add the flaxseed “eggs,” and then stir until fully combined.
- Carefully combine the two bowls, handling the still-hot water and date mixture with care. Slowly incorporate the flour, adding a half cup at a time and folding the ingredients until fully combined into a batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased glass baking dish, and then bake for roughly 35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- As the sticky toffee cake bakes, you can prepare your vegan caramel sauce. Combine the coconut cream, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a small sauce-pot, and then place on the stove at medium-high heat. When bubbles begin to form, whisk vigorously until cooked; roughly five minutes. When the mixture has reached the appropriate golden color, remove it from the heat and sample.
- Once you remove your cooked toffee cake from the oven, top it with your vegan caramel sauce and enjoy!
Decadent Desserts: at Willow or To Go!
Craving something sweet but can’t bring yourself to get off the couch? No problem! To complete your perfect, cozy night in, enjoy some take-out from Willow. Our food is made to travel; whether you’re enjoying your meal in the relaxing environment of our Chelsea location or taking your food to go, you’ll be able to enjoy the same fresh, high-quality experience.
Check out our menu and place an order today to find out more about the big flavor Willow brings to the table!